Newton County
Historical Society

Jasper, Arkansas


 
   Become a member of the Newton County Historical Society and help to preserve Newton County History for future generations. 
   Memberships are $15 per calendar year or $150 for a lifetime membership.
   All contributions to the Newton County Historical Society are tax deductible as we are a 501 (c)3 non profit organization.

This is the NEW homepage of the Newton County Historical Society in Jasper, Arkansas.  The offices of the Historical Society are located inside the Bradley House Museum which is operated by the Historical Society. The hours for the Museum to be open are located on the tab to the left titled Bradley House Museum.  We hope you enjoy our site.  Be sure and check back with us as you have opportunity to see what is new.  

Many folks visit Jasper, Arkansas to float the Buffalo River, see the sites, go hiking, view the Elk, or to visit the museum to search their family tree in the Bradley House Museum’s genealogical library.  Our office manager is always willing to help anyone research their Newton County roots and Newton County roots make for a stout Family Tree. In the Museum's library they have census records for Newton and surrounding counties, along with marriage records dating back to 1866 - in some cases earlier; cemetery records, and donated family histories.  Our research materials and books are for onsite use only.


Volume two of the Newton County Family History, published in 1999 by the Newton County Historical Society, is still available for sale in the gift shop.  More books about families of Newton County and the general history of Newton County are also available. A listing of available books is on the “Books for Sale” tab on the left side of this page.  There is also a tab for Newton County stories, some of which have been published in the Historical Society's Newton County Homestead.



The C. C. Madewell Store in Parthenon,
Newton County, Arkansas
Tidbit about the History of Newton County.

When Newton County was formed in December of 1842, from Carroll county,  the temporary seat of county government was to be at the home of John Bellah near the mouth of Shop Creek or what is now known as Parthenon.   In 1843 the county seat was established at Jasper, where it has remained every since. 
Visitors to this site since March 17, 2015
Counter